Badische Presse - Man Utd's Maguire given driving ban for speeding

NYSE - LSE
RYCEF 0.1% 20.83 $
NGG -1.85% 80.66 $
GSK 3.27% 52.88 $
RBGPF 0.5% 69.35 $
BP 0.73% 43.73 $
AZN 2.94% 164.95 $
BTI -0.71% 55.98 $
CMSC 0.27% 21.298 $
RIO 3.73% 100.44 $
VOD 0.25% 16.17 $
BCC 3.55% 83.13 $
BCE 1.43% 23.7 $
RELX 1.68% 35.1 $
CMSD 0.28% 21.15 $
JRI -0.48% 12.38 $
Man Utd's Maguire given driving ban for speeding
Man Utd's Maguire given driving ban for speeding / Photo: © AFP

Man Utd's Maguire given driving ban for speeding

Manchester United defender Harry Maguire has been banned from driving for 56 days and ordered to pay £1052 ($1299) after being caught speeding twice in three days.

Text size:

Maguire was captured on camera driving his Range Rover at 85mph in a 50mph limit area coming out of a tunnel on Wilmslow Road, under the runway of Manchester Airport, in March 2024.

The 31-year-old England international pleaded guilty to the offence on October 2, Bolton Magistrates' Court heard on Wednesday.

Solicitor Gwyn Lewis, appearing on Maguire's behalf in court, said: "Of course the speed is wholly excessive and I fully accept that."

The court heard at the time of the March offence, Maguire had three penalty points on his licence, relating to an offence in 2021.

On March 7 last year, two days after the incident, Maguire was caught speeding again and had since received three penalty points.

"He was offered a speed awareness course but unfortunately because he was away from this country in the summer he wasn't able to take up the course," Lewis said.

Maguire was fined £666 and ordered to pay £120 costs and a £266 surcharge.

D.Meyer--BP