Badische Presse - Alcaraz recovers from sluggish start to move into Monte Carlo last 16

NYSE - LSE
CMSC -0.12% 21.45 $
CMSD -0.05% 21.58 $
BCC -1.07% 83.24 $
BTI -0.51% 57.06 $
AZN -0.5% 156.45 $
BCE 0.64% 23.47 $
NGG -0.19% 81.05 $
BP 0.52% 42.53 $
GSK -0.97% 49.52 $
RIO -0.43% 95.68 $
RBGPF 0% 71.34 $
RYCEF 0.62% 20.84 $
JRI 0.5% 12.61 $
RELX -0.7% 34.43 $
VOD 1.22% 16.42 $
Alcaraz recovers from sluggish start to move into Monte Carlo last 16
Alcaraz recovers from sluggish start to move into Monte Carlo last 16 / Photo: © AFP

Alcaraz recovers from sluggish start to move into Monte Carlo last 16

Carlos Alcaraz picked up his first ever win at the Monte Carlo Masters when he came from a set down to win his second round match against Francisco Cerundolo 3-6, 6-0, 6-1.

Text size:

After a mixed American tour, with a semi-final in Indian Wells and an early loss to David Goffin in Miami, the 21-year-old Spaniard made a successful return to clay.

His only previous appearance in Monte Carlo in 2022 ended in a three-set defeat by Sebastian Korda.

The 21-year-old Spaniard, ranked two in the world, made a slow start against the lively Argentine who outlasted him in extended cross-court rallies.

After gaining an early break, Alcaraz gave up four games in a row which was enough for Cerundolo to go on and take the set.

From then on, however, it was all Alcaraz. He dropped just a single game over the next two sets as he blasted his way to victory in one-hour 37-minutes.

"I didn't start well," said Alcaraz.

"I made a lot of mistakes and I let him play inside the court, dominating the points.

"I just knew that I had to do something else, play more aggressively, and play my own tennis: drop shots, going to the net and show more aggression.

"The most important change was the return, I tried to return closer to the line and push him."

The world No.3 booked himself a last 16 date against the German Daniel Altmaier, 84th in the world, who saw off the French veteran Richard Gasquet 7-5, 5-7, 6-2.

Gasquet, 38, playing for the last time in Monte Carlo, was given a warm reception by the crowds who have been watching him since he made his tournament debut as a 15-year-old wild card in 2002.

"I started with (Andre) Agassi and I'll finish with Alcaraz," said Gasquet who will retire from the circuit after the French Open.

"It's a gap of almost 40 years, it's enormous."

Later on Wednesday, another veteran, third seed Novak Djokovic, takes on the Chilean world No.32 Alejandro Tabilo.

The 37-year-old Serb is aiming for his 100th career title, and his first since winning gold at the Paris Olympics last year.

O.Vogel--BP